I have recently installed lyx1.6.1fix1 (on RH 7.0) from binary rpm which I
got from the lyx website (.. actually from a sited linked from the lyx site).
I read through the bugfixes for 1.6.1fix2 and this nasty bug is not included
there. So please read on.

Here is the problem:

If there is any evil red text (ERT) in math mode, on save lyx crashes and
both the original file and the lyx.emergency file are saveed incomplete. I
had to fish pages of work out of the core dump to restore my work. The error
can be reproduced as follows.

1. Select File->New or open existing lyx file
2. Within the document switch to math mode and type "\sin (x)" or any other
expression containing \[some tex] that will display as ERT. (e.g. \omega will
not result in crash)
3. File->Save will crash lyx and destroy some or all of the document (both
the original and the .lyx.emergency)

Since after the crash most of even previously saved work is destroyed, this
bug makes lyx1.6.1 unusable. (I do use a fair bit of ERT.) I don't want to
sound ungrateful, I appreciate all the work you guys are doing, and lyx has
been good to me till now (crashes yes, but no work lost), but please put
future versions of lyx through more testing before releasing them as
'stable'. For now I'll go back to 1.5.1fix2 which has not given me much
trouble. I guess I should always stick with the highest fix-No. previous
release. Would it be correct to assume that they are/will be more stable?

Thaks for your time!

--
Steven Homolya
School of Physics and Materials Engineering