On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 08:20:44AM +0200, Andre Poenitz wrote:

> > Sure, but I would bet that mathed has some things easier on it compared
> > to the requirements of insettabular/insettext. No-one (except Juergen I
> > guess) really knows what they are though.
>
> More FUD. I think there will be a time when I can't stand it anymore.

I think it's a bit unfair to call it FUD !

> The requirements are theoretical exactly the same. That mathed does not
> implement everything (like \multicolumn for arrays) is no technical problem
> but a result of my limited time. You can not reasonably expect me
> implementing within one year what has taken six years and three or four
> people on average for the rest of LyX.

This is exactly my point, the job you're willing to undertake is a huge
one ... (again ;)

How would you deal with <tab> inside an insettext inside a cell ?
How do you make sure a keypress in the dummy cell position enters the
child inset, unless it's one that needs handling differenty ? If there
is no locking inset as such, how do you "unlock" it when I paste some
text elsewhere in the owner with the mouse button ? How do you make sure
asynchrnous geometry changes are propogated backwards properly ?

I'm sure you've got solutions to all of these and more I don't even
think of, but it doesn't mean you will necessary be able to solve them
all simply.

Put it this way: I expect such a rewrite to take years, regardless of
the superiority of the approach

regards
john

--