Angus> Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote: I give up! I would like to write a
Angus> configure test for the existence of GetLongPathNameA.
>> Since existence of such things for various windows versions is well
>> documented, I'd say that you should condition on windows version.

Angus> Yes, but how?

OK, did you see this?
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/mslu/winprog/microsoft_layer_for_unicode_apis_with_limited_support.asp

It seems that under windows they have some way to allow calling
unimplemented functions. The only thing is that they will return an
error.

Isn't this the natural way of using GetLongPathName? I would say that
just testing whether the return code is 0 would be enough. No need to
lookup GetLastError.