Bit of a mystery here. All was working well on my laptop as of the last time I used LyX (yesterday or the day before). Installed pre17 today and math screen fonts were munged; \times displayed as a pound sign, so of course I suspected Angus's handy work. :-) Ruurd's port was also affected. Turns out the xft fonts were gone from my font directory. Reinstalled them and all was well. Then reinstalled 1.3.6pre17, and the fonts were still there (and working correctly). On the other hand, nothing else I've added to the laptop recently should have gone anywhere near fonts.

So I'm just reporting this. If it doesn't happen to anyone else, we'll assume that some other program got the munchies and ate the font files. On the other hand, if anyone else reports it, we'll have a pattern.

-- Paul