Michael Gerz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is anybody familiar with the preview feature?

I am. I wrote it ;-)

> LyX 1.3 on Windows works fine when it comes to previewing math formula.
> However, LyX 1.4 fails to generate the bitmaps. This is what LyX reports
> on the console:
>
>   Failed to extract metrics info from dvipng
>   PreviewLoader::finishedInProgress(1): processing failed for python
>   "....../scripts/lyxpreview2bitmap.py" png
>   ".../lyx_tmpbug0/0lyxpreview.tex" 129 000000 faf0e6
>
> Any idea what's going wrong?

Have a look at extract_metrics_info in lib/scripts/lyxpreview2bitmap.py.
It's trying to parse the info passed to STDOUT by dvipng.

Add
  print dvipng_stdout
to see what this data is.

It's been a long time since I played with this and dvipng is a moving
target. It may well be that the information that's output has changed.

As a work around, uninstall dvipng. The script will fall back on the
dvi->ps->png conversion route that is used in LyX 1.3.

--
Angus