Michael> I think we should do something in order to resolve this issue
Michael> BEFORE 1.4.0 is released. It is a real nuissance for all
Michael> translators.

Michael> What comes into my mind are two things:

Michael> 1. In ./po/Makefile.in.in, we should consider a
Michael> positive/negative list for layout files that are (not) to be
Michael> translated. Alternatively, we could add a standardized
Michael> comment in the header of each *.layout and *.inc file.

Getting rid of g-brief-de would be nice. What other layouts are
problematic?

Michael> 2. In the layout definitions, there should be an option that
Michael> allows specifying a set of valid languages. This option
Michael> should be exploited in the document settings dialog.

That's too complicated for 1.4.0, I'm afraid.

Michael> PS: How about fixing/improving label strings? Are you willing
Michael> to accept corresponding patches at this stage?

What kind of patch? To the source or to the layout files?