I am working on a patch for 1.4pre to allow renaming of macro templates
and modifying the number of arguments. It all works, except the case that
a macro template has already been instantiated within the text. Specifically,
I would like to grow the argument list as required. The most straight forward
place to do this is in metrics(), however this is obviously dodgy because
a) it's a const function
b) although the metrics will change, it's probably not the intended function of
this function

Anyway, changing cells_ in MathNestInset to mutable get's around a), but it's
dodgy.
My other option is to create a non-const update() function for MathArray's &
call that prior to calling metrics() in text.C. Given that this is a one off
issue, it seems a bit wastefull to cycle through everything twice.
So, my question is, where is an appropriate place to resize the argument list of
a MathMacro object when it's associated MathMacroTemplate has been modified -
specifically
the number of arguments?

cheers,
andrew