Personally I think it's madness to release something with
known critical bugs that have patches.

I think proposed patches should be in CVS. That way, when you update
you get the current patches & can apply the ones you want. It
would encourage more testing through everyday use, while allowing
bad patches to be easily discarded.

Also, when I posted my patch for dynamic macros, I tested
all of the open macro related bugs potentially fixed
by the patch. It turned out that many of these bugs
have actually been fixed already (without my patch), but have
never been updated. Perhaps this is because they were fixed
unintentionally. I will generate a list later tonight.

Andrew