On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 08:58, Uwe Stöhr wrote:
> Lior Silberman schrieb:
> > In the US at least, 'letter' is the standard paper size. I think England
> > uses A4. IIRC 'legal' pages have the same width as 'letter', but are much
> > longer.

"legal" is 8.5 x 14 inches, IIRC.

> Seems that the ISO sizes are going to be the world standard.
> Astonishing why the USA doesn't adopt it. (That's the same with the
> units: All over the world they use the metric system (invented by the
> french), except of the USA.)
> Has anybody an explanation for this?

Money. In a ruthlessly capitalistic society, money is the final decision
maker. We don't deal well with rules handed down from on high; if it
costs us something to change, we rebel. I really wish we had forced it
through when converting to metric was first proposed 30 years ago. As I
scientist, I can think well in both systems (except for temperature - I
still have to convert Celsius to Fahrenheit in my head to decide if it
is cold outside :-), but it is sad that we are still stuck in Imperial
units.

As for your actual rewrite of the User Guide, I haven't had a chance to
read it yet :-), but it sounds like you are moving in a good direction.
I'll try to review it later today.

The very American ...
Mike

P.S. Since centimeters are the metric equivalent of inches, and
kilograms the equivalent of pounds, just remember that "football" is the
metric term for "soccer".