Michael Schmitt wrote:

The UserGuide will also have a short section about needed programs and install issues for the platforms Linux/Unix, Mac and Win.

Hmmm... Does this make sense? If the user is able to read the UserGuide, he already managed to install LyX. Installation issues should be described in the README files provided with the source code.

Of course you are right. I want only a _short_ section with the programs needed for proper work (a half page should be enough).
I noticed that some users managed to install LyX but forgot to install a pdf-viewer or ghostscript.

Publishing a book could help to reach more people and could possibly help to pay the bills for one of the next developer meeting.
What do you think about it?

Great idea, in principle. However, I wonder whether the audience is broad enough. Has anybody ever counted to the number of LyX downloads? Do we have 100, 1.000, 10.000 or even more users?

Interesting question. But the audience is bigger than the counted downloads from lyx.org. All LyX and Linux users I know use the version shipped with the Linux distribution.
I know that publishing a book is not as easy as it seems and is not the primary goal for now. I came on the idea by Dante's book series. They published the koma-script manual and a beautiful book about PStricks. The latter is written by Herbet Voss. I bought them because they are very cheap and a printed book is easier to read than an online version.

Please note that LyX 1.4 will look _substantially_ different from LyX 1.3. IMHO you should concentrate on LyX 1.4 and leave LyX 1.3 as it is.

This is what I want. But I found only the old UserGuide in CVS.
As I'm using Windows (there are many different reasons) I wasn't able to compile a CVS version. If Angus completed the support for LyX under Win I could try it again. Or Someone could send me a CVS binary. This binary needn't to be usable, only that I know how it looks.

BTW. If LyX 1.4 is such a big step to the future why don't we name it LyX 2.0?
Btw2 Is it planned to release LyX 1.4 with a GTK GUI?

regards Uwe