On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, G. Milde wrote:

> > Hmm... are you suggesting that *only* the short description should go
> > into the source eventually?  Wouldn't that too easily lead to the long
> > and the short descriptions diverging?
>
> Yes. This seems to me as a good tradeoff between ease of work for the
> developers and user friendly documentation.
>
> The threat of diverging always exists. However with the source containing
> either the full description or no documentation at all, I fear the
> divergence to be between the function and the documentation.

Hmm... I don't quite see that, as long as the documention is "close" to
the relevant source. OTOH, I guess LyXAction.C doesn't really contain the
source of the LFUNs, but rather just lists/declares them.

Anyway, I'm fine with keeping a terse description in the source, and
that's also what I think we should start with.

> > With a short description in the source, it might become easier [..]

It should at least be possible to get developers to add a note to the
short description that they've changed something:-)

> > I see, a separate LyX document for the lfuns (partially generated). Would
> > there be one such document for each language?
>
> Strings in the source should use the po mechanism, the generating script
> as well, the template lyx file would have to be translated similar to
> all other help documents.

I'm not familiar with the po-mechanism... as long as theres *some* way of
handling it.

> > Anyway, I think the way forward now is simply to start compiling the raw
> > information... Eh... did you have an "up-to-date" list of lfuns btw?
>
> I have copied and converted to an ASCII/CSV format your list from the wiki:
>
>   # The lists of LFUNs below were derived from from
>   # releaes lyx-1_3_3 of [59]src/LyXAction.C.

Eh... don't you think we should generate a new list from 1.3.5 (1.3.6?)?

> You find it in the pyLyX package on the PyClient page. (I can mail you a
> copy if you wish.)

That'd be good, unless we decide to create a new list.

Hmm... maybe by looking at diffs of LyXAction.C we can see if any lfuns
have changed between 1.3.3 and HEAD?

/Christian