On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 04:27:15PM +1000, johntran...@fastmail.fm wrote:
> Hi, Scott. Thanks for replying.
>
> Agreed, no, you don’t need a horizonotal scrollbar
> on a proply-designed page, because you don’t need one.

OK good. I just wanted to make sure we were seeing the same thing.

> As they (all) say:
>
> Readability: the Optimal Line Length: Having the right amount of characters
> on each line is key to the readability of your text. It shouldn’t merely be
> your design that dictates the width of your text, it should also be a matter
> of legibility. The optimal line length for your body text is considered to be
> 50-60 characters per line, including spaces (“Typographie”, E. Ruder). Other
> sources suggest that up to 75 characters is acceptable.
>
> So can we have a page width of say 50 to 60 characters per line, including
> spaces?

I would be in favor of previewing this change. It should be configurable
somewhere in the Wiki settings.

> That would help us all to read  properly and easily.
>
> And… no need for a horizontal scrollbar.
>
> best

By the way, LyX could use a lot of UI love. If you happen to be a
programmer with UI experience, we have an opening :)

In the future, please always respond to the list (so others can join).

Best,

Scott