On Thu, Dec 15, 2022 at 04:05:27PM +0100, Stephan Witt wrote:
> Am 14.12.2022 um 17:02 schrieb Scott Kostyshak <skost...@lyx.org>:
> >
> > On Wed, Dec 14, 2022 at 05:55:17PM +0200, Dr Eberhard Lisse wrote:
> >> Hal,
> >>
> >> the command is
> >>
> >>     sudo xcode-select --install
> >>
> >> you will then be asked for your password.
> >>
> >> It is a system wide installation of the command line tools (of XCode)
> >> and hence must be done as administrator (technically root).
> >>
> >> The complete XCode will of course also install python3 but is a few GB
> >> too much.
> >>
> >> el
> >
> > Is there a way from the command line to install only Python on macOS?
>
> AFAIK you can choose either so called „Xcode Command Line Tools“ or „Xcode
> Developer Package“.
>
> The command line tools include e.g. clang, git and python3 and SDKs.
> The disk image of version 12.2 has 431M and 14.2 has 672M.
> The unpacked files require approximately 2GB..3GB.
>
> Without the command line tools installed there is a small python3 utility
> only.
> The execution of this python3 triggers a popup asking the user for
> installation of the command line tools.
>
> https://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/12523
>
> Unfortunately this popup is raised on first python presence check by LyX.
> Shortly after this LyX raises its own popup to tell the user the
> configuration has failed.
> This 2nd popup hides the first one partially and distracts users from the
> first.
>
> The easiest solution for users would be to allow download and install of the
> command line
> tools by confirmation of the first question, wait until it is finished (it
> really takes a while)
> and restart LyX's configuration.

Thanks for that detailed explanation, Stephan. Do I understand then that
this issue is a long-term issue on macOS that we should expect for
future versions as well? That is, it is not just an issue that appears
when upgrading to Ventura. As is, even a new Apple computer that comes
with Ventura pre-installed will not have Python by default and thus will
have the issue.

It's good to know that LyX's own python check triggers the popup. Would
it make sense to have a lighter python check that does not raise the
popup, and conditional on that check LyX can give a user-friendly
message like "macOS will prompt you to install python, which is
necessary for LyX. We suggest you click on yes/accept/install" ?

Of course, this will not cover all of the cases. For example, if a
different program triggered the prompt and they said "no", then I
imagine they will not see the popup again.

Scott