In a recent message someone said they were using TrueType fonts with LyX.
I've just installed xfstt and gave it a symbolic link to my Windows
partition to look for *.ttf fonts. The results in LyX are excellent: no
more jaggies at large sizes. I use Times New Roman and Arial; for some
reason at the standard size the "3" character in Courier New has a very
ugly disconnected pixel, so I stuck with Courier, which in any case
doesn't suffer as much at the others at large sizes.

I'd just like to recommend the use of TrueType fonts (for display;
printing is an entirely different matter!) with LyX. I *knew* Windows had
to be good for something!

--
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/rrt1001/ | maxim, n.  wisdom for fools