Daniel> Hi, although I set language to german and encoding to latin1,
Daniel> words that contain german umlaute will not be broken in two
Daniel> parts, even if necessary.

Daniel> (I'm talking about printing, of course, and it's a LaTeX
Daniel> issue...)

Are you sure that your LaTeX format has been built with german
hyphenation support? You might need to rebuild it with texconfig (if
you use teTeX).

JMarc