On Thu, Feb 11, 1999 at 11:26:17AM -0500, Paul D. Smith wrote:
> %% "Larry S. Marso" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>   lsm> This is already supported.  But it's relatively low level
>   lsm> functionality.  You'll have to define a paragraph style.  For
>   lsm> simplicity you could define one of the existing styles, e.g.,
>   lsm> quotation, to have whatever characteristics you want.
>
> But I don't want a whole paragraph in that style, that's the thing.  I
> want just a section in the middle of the sentence.  Or are you
> suggesting using nested environments?  I haven't played with that much.
> Can you nest environments within a single paragraph?
>
> For example:
>
>   If you run make in the foo/bar/obj directory, you'll see that...
>
> Now, I want filenames like "foo/bar/obj" to appear in a fixed-width font
> like courier.  But I also want them all to use the same character
> "style", say "filename", so I can change them all at once later (maybe I
> decide I like helvetica better, or a smaller size, or something).

This is not very hard.  But you require what we long-timers call
ERT, which means "Evil Red Text" -- raw LaTeX.

Layout->LaTeX Preamble

Add:

\def{\filename}{\ttfamily}
                ^^^^^^^^^ definition
      ^^^^^^^^ name of your style

Then, anywhere in your document you type a file name, type:

\filename{foo/bar/obj}
          ^^^^^^^^^^^ affected text
 ^^^^^^^^ name of your style

This text (or at least everything outside the "{}" must be in so-called
"LaTeX mode"

You can, at any point, change the definition in the preamble and it'll be
applied throughout your document.

You see, LaTeX makes it very simple to define and use styles, even if it's
unclean ERT.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that 1.1 will support a menu
based definition scheme.

Think about it, definitions have a number of wide ranging applications, not
just "styles".