On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> Note that the place where you unpack the lyx distribution for
> compiling is different from the place where you want to install it.

Jean-Marc, you have been very kind to answer my ignorant questions.  I'm
sure you have much to do.  It's ok with me if you just ignore this.

I unpacked the lyx distribution for compiling in the directory:

/usr/local/lyx-1.0.0pre2

Then I compiled it and installed it.  The executable "lyx" is at
/usr/local/bin/lyx and Lyx "Help" reports that the library files are at
/usr/local/share/lyx.

So, I just took a deep breath and did rm -r -f /usr/local/lyx-1.0.Opre2 to
get rid of all the files there.  Then I ran lyx.  It ran fine.

>From this, I conclude that after lyx is installed one may delete the
directory tree into which the lyx distribution was unpacked.  If this is a
terrible blunder, I will learn it soon enough!

Hugh Lawson
Greensboro, North Carolina