Sorry my friends,
    I have just discovered I do NOT have lyx 1.0.1 but 1.0.0...
I downloaded lyx-latest from a mirror assuming it was 1.0.1
and did the rest on 'auto-pilot' (cee-dee lyx-*; ./configure; make and
off we go whee...)

However, I have just got the lyx REAL 1.0.1 and attempted to
install on Solaris 2.5.1.

I am getting some strange errors from a file pl.mo about missing quotes.

I see that a similar post has been made to the developer's list about
the
Solaris 2.6 build, so I won't bother you any more now.

-- Barry