David> Hi Folks, I've got a newbie question: I'd like to be able to
David> control the numbering in my enumerations, so they don't always
David> start at 1.

David> (I'm typesetting some competition rules, using enumerations for
David> each article; there are 6 sections, but the articles are
David> numbered continuously from the beginning of the document to the
David> end. Personally I think it'd make more sense to do it the way
David> Lyx wants to do it now, starting over again at 1 for each
David> section. But they didn't ask me. ;-)

Do you really use an enumeration for that? What you present looks
rather like sections... Keeping the counter is possible, but it
requires to know a bit more about what you are doing.

David> It'd also be really cool if I could change the enumeration
David> thing so that instead of saying:

David>      15. Awards

David> for the 15th thing in the enumeration, it'd do this:

David> Article 15. Awards

If you use enumerations, you can probably do:
\renewcommand{\theenumi}{Article \arabic{enumi}.}
in the preamble. You will not see the label on screen, though.

JMarc