Is it possible to simplify font-changing in math mode?
Right now I am trying to do in LyX something that is easy in plain LaTeX:

\begin{equation}
  \Pr(\mathrm{system fails in $[0,\tau)$ and this is covered} $|$ \mathrm{system
   was up at $t=0$})
\end{equation}

I'm having a hard time doing this with LyX's protected spaces and automatic
switching to default font, to the point that I'm tempted to go back to ascii
input and plain LaTeX.  It seems to me it would be much easier to do if, for
example, C-c f r did the equivalent of \mathrm{ and C-c f space did the
equivalent of } (closing the brace).  The only problem I see is the switching
back into math mode inside the \mathrm{}.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

                                Kostas Oikonomou