Hi,

   I want to write my PhD thesis using LyX (since I use it to write
   everything else), but I cannot get it to recognize the thesis
   layout that I have put together.  More specifically, I have a
   thesis.cls file that was given to me by the university to handle
   the formatting.  I created a thesis.layout file according to the
   "Customization" document.  I then run reconfigure under the options
   menu and LyX sees the thesis.layout file, but then says it cant
   find the document class thesis.cls.  I have put the file in three
   locations with the hopes that it would be found:

/usr/lib/texmf/texmf/tex/latex/base/thesis.cls
/usr/lib/texmf/texmf/tex/latex/misc/thesis.cls
/usr/local/share/lyx/layouts/thesis.cls

   How do I get the reconfigure to see the thesis.cls file so that I
   can choose the thesis class under the layout -> document menu?

  I am using version 1.0.0 on intel pc runnning redhat linux version
  5.0 with kernel 2.0.36.

Thanks,
Todd