I installed ChkTeX for typesetting lint checking, and found that it did
not run when invoked from the LyX menu.  I had installed ChkTeX, run
reconfigure, restarted LyX, and the ChkTeX menu option was available,
but every time it said it failed to run.

The problem is that ChkTeX requires the TERM environment variable to be
set.  (I saw this when I looked in the X session error log.)  When you
invoke LyX from the command line, you usually have a TERM set, but when
you invoke LyX from an X menu, the X window manager usually doesn't have
this set, because it doesn't have a terminal.

My suggestion is either to mention the need to have TERM set when you
start LyX if you are going to use ChkTeX, or have LyX check for a value
of the environment variable TERM, and if it is not set, set it to vt100
before executing chktex.

I doubt you want the ChkTeX maintainer to make a change to allow the
TERM value not to be set.

  [EMAIL PROTECTED]                |  (610) 853-3000