Mark> The problem was originates with Red Hat. The xforms package they
Mark> distributed (powertools) was the wrong one! Once I deleted that
Mark> and I could install the right tarball (libc 2.1), all was as
Mark> well as Netscape permits. Netscape still wants the whole color
Mark> map, so screen colors become "interesting."

If you want to restrict the number of colors used by netscape, you can
add to your .Xdefaults (or .Xresources, depending on the setting) a
line like
Netscape*maxImageColors:        64

JMarc