Dear listmembers,

I see that I was starting a holy war about ideas how one should
write text. This was not intended. But I want to still give
few key-points about productive writing. (And these are _my_
opinions, I'm not trying to babtize anybody to my beliefs).

- I think that text, style and structure shoud be separated. Good
  example of this is SGML, where you have DTD (document type
  definition = legal structure of document), SGML-data (the text)
  and DSSSL (or whatever you are using for defining the style of
  document; HTML, a4paper, etc...)
- When we have separated text and formatting (style), we can
  modify the formatting faster, because we don't have to format
  every paragraph separately. The tool we are using, can do it
  for us. This is because, the style defines the formatting.
- If we have structure separated from contents (text), we
  (if needed) can verify that document structure is what is
  expected (by customer, programmers, TeX-engine..)
- If the writer is not responsible for the 'look' of the
  document, he/she can focus on the subject currently under
  work, which makes the writing more efficient

Here are some points why _WE_ are using LyX:

o It's relatively easy to learn (compared to MS Word), easier than
  LaTeX
o We can use it with CVS
o basic file-format is ASCII
o allows us to separate contents and style of documents, we hope that
  we will use same documents in multiple environments (web, pdf, ...)
o our Tech-Writers are not programmers, they are skilled on
  domestic and foreign languages and writing
o LyX recovers quite good from crash, and because the basic
  format is ASCII, it can be fixed by advanced user (if
  LyX does not recover)
o When using MS Word or such programs, people tend to format, and
  re-format, and re-format the document often. This consumes
  the valuable time from productive writing.
o LyX is good enough frontend to LaTeX, so that our tech-
  writers have no need to learn LaTeX. On simple documents,
  and even quite complex documents, tools that LyX offers
  are enough.
o Because _I_ think that LyX has potential! It's great piece of
  software, and the developers are doing a great work. I'm
  bothered only one thing; I don't have the time to contribute
  work to the project.

Tommi Rintala