[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

|     Paul> As noted in this list last week, RH7 is distributed with a bogus
|     Paul> compiler, gcc-2.96. Lyx does not compile, there are all kinds of errors
|     Paul> pointing back to the standard template library of c++. I've filed a bug
|     Paul> report at RedHat, and expect they may fix it.
|
|     Paul> If you are stuck with RH7, what do you do?
|
|     Paul> 1. Wait for RedHat to issue new gcc?
|     Paul> 2. Remove gcc-2.96 and retrofit gcc-2.95.2?
|     Paul> 3. Get somebody to build a statically linked lyx?
|
|     Paul> I'm leaning to option number 2, but don't know if it will harm my system
|     Paul> in any way.  If others have overcome the problem, I'd like to know. I've
|     Paul> searched pretty far and wide in the usenet for solutions.
|
| How about something really useful?  Trace the compilation errors and
| supply patches.
|
| Chances are, the problem is not that there is something "wrong" with
| gcc-2.96 - but more likely it is due to the greater standards
| conformance.  In other words, you're most likely seeing bugs in lyx -
| and patches would certainly be welcomed.

No :-)

The pre-rh7 2.96 only existed in gcc CVS and LyX 1.1.5 is setup to use
that with the new emerging standard C++ lib: libstdc++-v3, this sould
be changed in 1.1.5fix2 so that 2.96 reflects the rh version a 2.97
could be added to adhere to the gcc cvs version.

Jean-Marc, basically what has to be done is to make the 2.96 cases in
1.1.5 be similar to the 2.96 cases in 1.1.6.

        Lgb