"Gerhard Schuck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hmm, in the meantime I learned that this CJK package exists. It is said to
> be better for my purposes (mainly German, sometimes Japanese writing) than
> platex. I have also heared about Omega. But I have no idea how to get them
> running or how to integrate them into CJK-Lyx (I'm still a beginner in the
> latex-world).

Try to follow links from
http://www.havenrock.com/docproc/nihongo/omega-j/index.html
to obtain Japanese OCP.  Omega/Lambda-J currently works mostly like
CJK package.  If you are using Shift-JIS encoding (LANG=ja_JP.SJIS),
then OCP might be prefered since Shift-JIS encoding with CJK package
requires special filter to be applied before LaTeX is run.  While
if you are using EUC encoding (LANG=ja_JP.eucJP), then CJK macro with
ordinary LaTeX should be chosen since DVI drivers and other utilities
are rather limited for Omega/Lambda generated files.

> By the way it's not easy to get information about multilingual
> linux or latex. Mostly information about "Linux and Japanese" or MULE is
> related to getting a full japanese system (based on LANG=ja_JP), which of
> course supports English but not the Latin-1 languages.

Here is a brief comparison of CJK package and pLaTeX (HLaTeX for
Korean should be similar):
First thing is that CJK is virtually never used in Japan.  Hence
style files specially tuned for (Japanese) local typesetting
traditions are available only for pLaTeX.  On the other hand,
quite a few macro packages on CTAN like inputenc, fvrb-ex, etc.
assume TeX compiler to be 8-bit clean and hence incompatible with
pLaTeX.  Needless to say, babel which relies on inputenc cannot
be used with pLaTeX.
Nextly, DVI->PS drivers for standard LaTeX as well as for Omega/
Lambda does not support multibyte characters.  In fact their
support is restricted to Type1, Type3 and Type42 fonts which,
Adobe has made it clear for ages, are legacy font formats not given
a proper status as PostScript resources.  IMNSHO it is a lazyness
of Omega developers for not supporting CID fonts, at least Type9
fonts.  Consequently PS/PDF files generated by CJK package and/or
Lambda have non-standard single byte Type1 and/or Type3 Kanji fonts
split from multibyte fonts embedded.  On one hand this makes
documents intolerable large, on the other this makes documents
printable on systems without multibyte fonts installed.  However
xpdf cannot display embedded fonts in PDF documents.  Naturally
DVI->PS drivers for pLaTeX supports multibyte fonts but only for
Japanese.

> Sorry, I can't. I returned to normal LyX on a non-Japanese linux system, and
> will try to get by with yudit or emacs for bilingual purposes.

emacs+CJK seems a reasonable choice for multilingual purpose.
But if you are ready to hack locale definition files, you can
experiment CJK-LyX with JISX-0213 charset which contains all LTR
Latin-X characters.  At present this is quite hard since there
are a few hundred Kanji characters in JISX-0213 which are not
yet given Unicode codepoints and the scalable fonts backends of
X does not yet support JISX-0213.

Regards,
        SMiyata