Regarding your problems with figures, i've had this problem also, for 2
reasons: some programs don't generate the bounding box correctly, and most
programs put your small figure in the middle of (or anywhere in) a mostly
blank page.
I found that running the ps file in ps2epsi corrects all my problems. As a
bonus, it generates a small preview in the file. I'm not sure if lyx takes
that preview to display in its WYSIWYM interface, but i think so because
it seems faster to display the on-screen preview of epsi files than plain
ps. If it doens't, maybe it should ... :)

I take figures from Matlab, mostly (diagram printouts and plots), and i
have the student version, which prints a "Student Version of
Matlab" annoying line in the bottom. So what i always do is to disable
page border and put it in landscape mode in Matlab's print dialog, enable
print to file, print. Then i run the file through this:

awk '!($1 == "(Student")' $1 >$1.tmp
ps2epsi $1.tmp $1
rm -f $1.tmp

(yes, bad shell syntax --- it should handle the argument filename's
extension much better, but i'm no shell wizard and i need to finish my
thesis before learning bash better)
This script removes that annoying line from the postscript and generates
the bbox and removes the surrounding blank. The result is consistently
good. Since other programs won't put that annoying text, you can still use
the script, it just won't do anything in the first line (unless you DO
have a "Student" text somewhere in the figure and you want to keep it
:) ).

Hope that helps. It took me a while to find a solution that works and
that's simple.

 \ Eric St-Jean, ing.stag.      [EMAIL PROTECTED] \
  \ Space Systems, Xiphos Technologies Inc     \
   \ (514)848-9640                 fax 848-9644 \
    \ Montreal, Quebec                           \