>>Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 11:37:40 +0100
>>From: Jan Goebel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>Subject: Re: fancyhdr - different headers and footers
>>
>>Hello ,
>>
>>if you use the fancyhdr packages you have the following
>>latex-commands:
>>
>>\lhead{} \lfoot{}
>>\chead{} \cfoot{}
>>\rhead{} \rfoot{}
>>
>>So, if you want to change you header and footer just type the
>>latex commands (in red) on the particular page.
>>For the default header in fancyhdr please look in the package
>>description, i don't know it :(
>>
>>jan

There exists a native mechanism in the package to deal differently
I'm afraid that going into the doc is the only way to really understand it.

As an example, here is a modification of the running headers mechnism
which skips these in plain pages:

\usepackage{fancyplain}
instead of \usepackage{fancy}

then

\lhead[\fancyplain{\rm\thepage}{\rm\thepage}]{\fancyplain{}{\it\rightmark}}

puts the running header (rightark) italicised in the left location
of the header for odd pages (compulsory argument enclosed in {}),
but for plain pages where it is empty, and the page number in any
case for even pages (optional argument in []).

The fact that a page is «plain» can be part of the class description
(chapter title pages, bibliography title page,...) or local with
\thispagestyle{plain}

--
Jean-Pierre