I feel this is a bit stupid discussion, but I hope you don't get offended
even if I disagree :-)

On 23 Jan 2001, Lars Gullik Bjønnes wrote:

> Bitmap fontes created for the resoluton and size that they are view at
> are better than a scaled outline font.

I suppose you mean the bitmap fonts created by dvips (?) for postscript
files. In that case, you are not quite right, because they _are_ outline
fonts, they are just already rasterized. The question is, whether the
conversion from vector form to rasterized (bitmap) form should be done by
document publisher (dvips) or the reader (gv/acroread/ps printer). And
since outline fonts seem to actually work faster than pre-rasterized
fonts, it looks definitely like the fonts should be rasterized by the
reader, since only he may know the resolution of the output device.

> So all this depends on _what_ you are going to use the document for,
> hardcopy or screen viewing.

Hopefully spreading the document freely--everyone may either print or view
it, and it can not be known in advance.

It actually makes some sense that LyX would make TeX and dvips to produce
Postscript/PDF files with outline fonts when possible, by default, since
Postcript/PDF is more common.

How many PDF files you have seen on the web lately?
How many DVI files?

How many Postscript printers have you seen?
How many DVI printers?