Thanks for the test file, it does indeed produce the expected output when ran
through pdflatex on my system.  Apparently the DeclareRobustCommand** is
considerably more robust. :)

** the old version of LyX exported \newcommand the new one exports
\DeclareRobustCommand

Even when this disclaimer is not here:
I am not a contracting officer. I do not have authority to make or modify the
terms of any contract.