I don't know why but you need to use non-LaTeX fonts
Document > Settings > Fonts.

I exported the file to LaTeX and there is a command
\usepackage[garamondx]{newtxmath}

This gives the same errror as in LyX but if I remove the [garamondx] option
it compiles. Selecting the non-LaTex fonts will give you the Garamond font.

--
John Kane
Kingston ON Canada