Running lyx-2.1.4 on Slackware-14.1. Document class is KOMA-script
article and the multicol package is included in the preamble.

  For ease of reading I want to set the body in two columns per page leaving
the title, author, abstract, and bibilography in a single column.

  Following the abstract, in the standard environment I inserted
\begin{multicol}{2} followed by the first chapter heading on a new line.

  At the end of the text, before the bibliography environment, I inserted
\end{multicol}.

  This works but the three figures are not included (they are sized to 100%
column width), and the references are typeset as Figure ??.

  If I set the page layout as 2 column, the figures are included, but the
title, author, abstract, and bibliography are also in the 2-column format.

  I've looked for the source of the problem but have not seen it. A hint as
to why the figures are not displayed when the multicol package is used will
be much appreciated.

TIA,

Rich