"In Lyx 2.2.0,  Documents tab, there is the option to view
Open Document (elyxer)

An error? Selecting this certainly does a conversion, the heading says .....odt, but the converted file does not look like open doc format, and if the file is saved, it saves as an html, which is what I would expect from an elyxer conversion. "

I wrote the above a few days ago, but do not seem to have triggered
any comment. There is more to it, I see. In that same menu is
the option to view as MS Word - but the file looks like html and saves
as html.

Am I being mislead?

Gordon.