On 07/02/2016 06:14 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
Hi all,

I'd like to use TeX-Gyre-Schola, because it's very legible on the
screen, and it *seems* to be allowable to embed it in a PDF without
anyone needing to pay anyone else. Here's the license info I found:

License, which incorporates LaTeX Public License:
https://www.fontsquirrel.com/license/TeX-Gyre-Schola

LaTeX Public License: https://latex-project.org/lppl/lppl-1-3c.txt

Regarding the LPL, I've been unable to find a legal definition of
"Derived Work" that I could understand, so I don't know if my book,
which I will sell as a PDF file, is "derived" from TeX-Gyre-Schola, or
whether it simply includes a copy of TeX-Gyre-Schola. Also, it doesn't
include ALL of TeX-Gyre-Schola, so I don't know whether *that's*
violating the license.

Anyone know whom I could ask regarding these things?

Your work is not "Derived Work" as you're not distributing TeX-Steve-Schola (Steve, as in Steve Litt) as a new font derived from TeX-Gyre-Schola. Your work if in PDF (that is, computer) format is, at most, a "Compiled Work".

Thus
3.  You may distribute a Compiled Work that has been generated from a
complete, unmodified copy of the Work as distributed under Clause 2
above, as long as that Compiled Work is distributed in such a way that
the recipients may install the Compiled Work on their system exactly
as it would have been installed if they generated a Compiled Work
directly from the Work.

Notice, this is *may*, not *must*. That means you don't have to distribute your work as a PDF file, but if you choose to, your work compiled with TeX-Gyre-Schola should contain the exact copy of TeX-Gyre-Schola, not some modified private version with the same name.

If you print the book, you're in no way distributing the font itself (font is a computer program, right?), just its version compiled for 600dpi printer. In that sense:
"Activities other than distribution and/or modification of the Work
are not covered by this license; they are outside its scope.

If unsure, you can ask the authors of the font for their explicit statement.