On Tue, 2 Aug 2016, Richard Heck wrote:

It's a new feature with 2.2. When you load files with a new major release,
it has to be converted to the new format (which encodes various new
features). We had some cases where people tried to load files with 2.1 and
the file was for some reason corrupted. Of course, they had a backup. Or
not. So now we do not over- write the original file, but just rename it.

Richard,

  Works for me. When I upgrade I don't keep the older version installed. If
I work on a file created with a previous version I save the current flavor
and continue with that.

  I understand that others work differently so I appreciate you devs
accommodating their needs.

Regards,

Rich