On 08/14/2016 11:34 PM, Richard Heck wrote:
On 08/14/2016 08:24 AM, Michael Berger wrote:

Dear Lyx friends,

in Lyx 2.1 I could use e.g. '\HandRight' in an ERT box to produce this symbol☞

but in Lyx 2.2.0 I get an errorwhile other symbolse.g. '\textcopyright' just work as before.

How can one identify which symbols from the comprehensive list of latex symbols do / do not work in Lyx 2.2.0 ?

If this is in ERT, then the issue is with LaTeX. You may need to load some package manually that was, for some reason, being loaded automatically in 2.1.x.

Richard

Richard,
it is as you said, but not only applies to symbols in ERT but in other cases in ordinary text as well.

I had to add to the preamble:

\usepackage{bbding}

\usepackage{phaistos}

\usepackage{hieroglf} to satisfy my needs.

What I must conclude now is that there is no consistent rule in using symbols from Scott Pakin's 'The Comprehensive LaTeX Symbol List' (Nov. 2015). And this is not at all surprising when looking at the huge amount of 14032 symbols listed there, just good to know!

Thanks to all who invest their time to make working with Lyx easier!
Michael