On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 02:04:02PM -0400, Robert Froehlich wrote:
> Scott
>
> Thank you for your prompt reply.

Hi Robert,

Please always respond to the list (unless you have a reason to keep a
message private).

> I realize that I was not quite clear in my description. But before I expand
> on that description, your suggestion that I uncheck "Show in LyX" makes me
> wonder if I misunderstood insert external material, and the inserted
> document can't be edited. If that is the case I will have to find some other
> way to get the document into LyX (perhaps as pure text, losing the
> formatting).
>
> I inserted the entire multi-page document using Insert>File>External
> Material, with template PDF pages. On the LaTeX and LyX options tab I set
> the option to "pages=-" . This brings in the entire document. I verified
> this by viewing the document, which creates a new PDF that duplicates the
> original document.
>
> I see the same problem when I insert only one page of a PDF document or many
> pages. I originally though that all the pages of the document were being
> overwritten onto one page in the display. The reason I mentioned this, is
> that if the problem was caused by all the pages of a multi-page document
> being written over the first page, I would get a good first page if I only
> inserted one page. Getting the same problem with a single page insert seemed
> to eliminate that explanation.

The reason I suggested to uncheck the "Show in LyX" option is because at
least this way the display in LyX won't be misleading. The PDF output is
correct, right?

> I would have included a screen shot, but it appeared that  the emails in the
> archive were all strictly text. If I can send you a screen shot please let
> me know.
>
> As to your remark about converters: Under Tools > Preferences > File
> Handling > Converters I don't see PDF (graphics) -> EPS. I don't understand
> why it would be relevant in any case.

In order to show a PDF in LyX's display it is first converted to EPS.
That command shows that only one page is used and that's why only one
page shows up in LyX's display.

Best,

Scott