On 27.10.2016 16:19, Benedict Holland wrote:
My guess is that would be the cause. Since you do not have a common (in a typical citation style of last_name, first and first_name last_name and first_name last_name), I believe it would treat "Rana A. Find AND Frank J." as the first name and Millero as the last name. Also, this isn't a lyx issue. You are probably using biber and biber processes bib files a bit differently.

~Ben

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 9:43 AM, Bernt Lie <bernt....@hit.no <mailto:bernt....@hit.no>> wrote:

    *From:*lyx-users@lists.lyx.org <mailto:lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
    [mailto:lyx-users@lists.lyx.org <mailto:lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>]
    *On Behalf Of *Wolfgang Engelmann
    *Sent:* torsdag 27. oktober 2016 15.36
    *To:* lyx-users@lists.lyx.org <mailto:lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
    *Subject:* Re: Appearance of bibliography references in LyX

    On 27.10.2016 13:33, Bernt Lie wrote:

        I use LyX 2.2.1 (I assume that it is safe to upgrade to 2.2.2,
        but I haven’t done it yet) under Windows 10.

        I’m somewhat puzzled by the way bibliography references appear
        in LyX. I use JabRef for handling BibTeX files, to define
        labels to references, etc. Here is one example:

        (taken from LyX; “Fine1975” is my chosen label – actually,
        automatically defined by BibTeX...)

        HOWEVER, in the LyX document, this reference appears as:

        or

        Why? Here is the full reference (from LyX):

        As seen, JabRef creates a key based on the first author, while
        LyX tends to insert the last author name in the preview.

        But.... WHY? To me, it seems more logical to use the name
        appearing in the lable – that would make it easier to read the
        preview and check the author/reference.

        OK – I **realize** that the label doesn’t necessarily have to
        be an author name. But in my experience, the **first** author
        is often the principal author, and perhaps he/she should be
        given credit for that in the preview... (The last author is
        often a supervisor and corresponding author, though).

        What is the thinking behind this?

        Thanks for clarification. Useful to know the answer, because
        it may influence my choice of label...

        -B

    >Could it be that your AND (Capitals) between the authors instead
    of /and/ is the cause? Just a thoughtWolfgang

    I can check this, but the bibliography list itself looks fine...

    -B

I just tried it out in Jabref. Inserting AND (instead of and) does not make a difference. So the cause must be something else. Wolfgang