I wonder if Windows users see this problem in MikTeX regularly. I'm a
Linux user, but I try to help the Windows students around here.

I've done several LyX installs in Windows systems while preparing for
a workshop this week.  I think the LyX-2.2.2 installation of MikTeX
has some improvements. It pulls in quite a few more packages when it
first starts.

Even though the LyX bundle installer works OK, I'm frustrated with
MikTeX. Today, I experience the problem that my MikTeX can't install
new packages on any of these systems. Others have described it
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/251242/unable-to-connect-to-repository-in-miktex-2-9.

MikTeX cannot retrieve the list of repositories from the central
MikTeX server.   Even if the package-server I want to use is online,
the MikTeX routine fails. This has me angry enough now to use TexLive
instead.

TexLive  is a big download, but it seems to come with all of the
packages, no problem. It does not have the on-the-fly install, but
maybe I don't care.

I don't want to remove MikTex yet, I don't think I should have to.

I had a little trouble getting LyX to use TexLive, however.  I thought
it should be sufficient to put the TexLive bin\win32 folder in the
path ahead of MikTex\bin, but that was not sufficient.

In LyX itself, the preferences have a path variable in which I must
delete MikTeX and replace it with TeXLive.

This seems to work within my user account.

I'd like to make this change in LyX on a system-wide basis, so that
all new users who try LyX will get TeXLive. Know what I mean?

Before I tell students who maintain their own PCs, I wonder if there
are problems ahead. Do you have some ideas?

--
Paul E. Johnson   http://pj.freefaculty.org
Director, Center for Research Methods and Data Analysis http://crmda.ku.edu

To write to me directly, please address me at pauljohn at ku.edu.