Am Freitag, den 02.06.2017, 09:33 -0400 schrieb Paul A. Rubin:
> On 06/02/2017 05:40 AM, Louis Turk wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I'm a long-time user of Lyx. It is a great piece of software. Many
> > thanks to the developers.
> >
> > I just installed Lyx 2.2.2 and an error message is popping up:
> > "Error
> > reading module basic"
> >
> > I find this file on my harddrive:
> > /usr/share/lyx/layouts/basic.module
> >
> > So, I did:
> >
> > sudo cp /usr/share/lyx/layouts/basic.module
> > /home/l/lyx/lyx-devel/lib/layouts/basic.module
> >
> > to see it that would help.  I then ran Reconfigure, and restarted
> > Lyx.
> > But it did not help: the error still pops up every few minutes.
> >
> > Is there a solution?
> >
> > Louis
> >

> First question: does this happen only when you work with a document
> in
> which the basic module is selected (in Documents > Settings... >
> Modules), or does it happen with all documents?

Note that basic.module is not one you can select via the Modules pane.
It is loaded if you have "Default (numerical)" set in Documents >
Settings > Bibliography > Citation Style. So it's not really a module
in the proper sense.

Louis, did you install LyX 2.3alpha intermediately? It could be a mix
of settings from LyX 2.2 and LyX 2.3 (where basic.module has been
dropped in favor of a cite engine).

Jürgen