On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 23:30:15 +0800
<caoke...@163.com> wrote:

> Dear all
>
> I like using LyX in preparing my manuscript.
>
> But I did not know how to add new environment to the UI of LyX.
>
> For example, It is easy to use  the environment of theorem by
> clicking of mouse on the upper left corner of LyX. But how to add a
> new environment such as Assumption to the UI of Lyx.
>
> Thank you so much.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> kc cao

Hi kc cao,

I don't know exactly what you meant by "to the UI of LyX", but if you
want to add a new environment, to a document, that will be given your
specified appearance both in the PDF output and the LyX user interface,
the way I do it is to create a layout file if none exists,  and add the
environment to the layout file.

I've written extensively on this process, but using layout files was
much more difficult back then. Now you just put the layout file in the
same directory as the document, and import it as a local layout
file, and BANG, it gets recognized, without all the mumbo-jumbo and
hocus-pocus I used to have to recommend.

Here are some docs I've written about this:

http://troubleshooters.com/lpm/200210/200210.htm#_MakingYourOwnLayout

http://troubleshooters.com/lpm/200210/200210.htm#_ExpandingYourLayoutFile

http://troubleshooters.com/lpm/200210/200210.htm#_MakingaNoteEnvironment

Being able to create your own environments and character styles makes
LyX a desktop-publishing giant: Appearances exactly to your choice, but
during authoring time you never make an appearance choice nor tweak
appearance. You'll love it.

Now, if only somebody would either finish the conversion of LyX native
code to well formed and validated XML, or create a LyX to Xhtml
converter that doesn't prematurely convert styles to appearance and
create different paragraph types (class=) just to specify which body
text doesn't get indented, LyX would be the perfect overall authoring
machine.

HTH,

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2017 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key