José

thank you, but it lyx2lyx does not do what I need.

        lyx2lyx file.lyx -o file.lyx

clobbers file.lyx

Something like

        PID=$$
        cp file.lyx file.$PID.lyx
        lyx2lyx file.$PID.lyx file.lyx

doesn't fit on the command line so needs refinement as a bash script to
take arguments and do further error checking...

not what would call 'one the command line'

el