On Sat, 12 Aug 2017, Paul A Rubin wrote:

Curious. Your setup must be a tad nonstandard.

Paul,

  Could be ... because I am.

I tested it at my end (using " pdf2") and it worked. In the list of file
formats (under preferences) on both my machines, pdf2 is "shorthand" for
"PDF (pdflatex)". That's a LyX default, not something I screwed with.

  Hmmm-m-m. Under Tools -> Preferences -> File Handling -> File formats for
default output formats with TeX fonts PDF (pdflatex), with non-TeX fonts DVI
(LuaTeX). The Shortcut text entry widget is empty.

  I use the T1 TeX font encoding; the default body text typeface is
Palatino.

Rich