On Sun, 24 Dec 2017, Grahame Blackwood wrote:

I don't use Lyx for invoices or any documents with calculations in them.
Instead I use Latex usually (depending on what I am doing) with the letter
class adapted for window envelopes and my header. Latex takes care of the
typesetting and a program called Scrivener looks after the arithmetic.

Grahame,

  Business A/P checks are processed and printed from GnuCash; personal
checks are hand-written. All business invoices are LyX letters for
professional services. When a project is on a retainer basis I invoice the
initial retainer amount and provide a montly statement of the account, now
using the KOMA-Script article class with spreadtab and longtable. When the
retainer needs replenishing I send another letter invoice along with the
statement. Other than A/P vendor payments which are physical checks sent via
snail-mail, all other documents are transmitted as PDF attachements to
e-mail messages. (I even recycle the bits!)

  I recently learned that I could use gnumeric to track retainer payments
and draws and have the results automatically reflected in the LyX article's
table, but that involves another application. The spreadtab package will do
the calculations directly.

Happy holidays,

Rich