On Thu, 28 Dec 2017, Scott Kostyshak wrote:

Rich, it would be great if you could send MWE for messages like this. The
first step is: remove all text and just put "hello". Does that compile? If
so, then figure out the smallest .lyx file that can give the same error.

Scott,

  The .lyx file is 8912 lines and the only strings shown in the error
message lower window are the years 2004 and 2005. They are nowhere near the
highlighted text so I've no idea how to create a MWE that includes an error
I cannot find based on what lyx shows me.

  The 2004 is associated with a citation and bibliographic entry; the 2005
is in the body of the document. There is no 'california' with a lowercase
initial 'c', nor the word 'bypass' anywhere.

  What would be an appropriate diagnostic to refine the source of this
error?

Thanks,

Rich