> On Aug 7, 2018, at 11:57 AM, Paul A. Rubin <parubi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 08/01/2018 07:27 PM, list_em...@icloud.com wrote:
>> Has anyone successfully used the “abstract” package with LyX?
>>
>> http://mirror.las.iastate.edu/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/abstract/abstract.pdf
>>
>> I am trying to use it with "Article (Standard Class)” in two-column mode to
>> get a single-column abstract to appear above the two-column body but am
>> having trouble because the title page command “\maketitle” is called twice
>> which is very bad. You can see more details of my experience here but for
>> now I want to keep this message simple:
>>
>> https://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org/msg205850.html
>>
>> Jerry
>>
> First, you're using the package wrong. In theory, you should just add the
> \usepackage command in the preamble, give it any package options you want
> related to the formatting of the abstract title etc., and then add the
> abstract in the usual way (using the Abstract environment, no raw LaTeX
> required). In particular, your typing the \maketitle command in ERT creates
> the duplication you observed.

I first tried adding the package to the preamble and got to messing around with
the LaTeX and ERT trying to fix problems.

> That said, it's a PITA to get the abstract package to work with LyX. I'm
> attaching two small examples. abstract2.lyx uses the abstract package. I did
> not specify any options to it. The keys were (1) to define the title in the
> preamble and not use the Title environment, which lets you get away with
> specifying the \maketitle command manually, and (2) to stick a forced end of
> line at the end of the abstract, to prevent it from butting up against the
> first section.
>
> The other attached file, abstract.lyx, accomplishes the same thing without
> using the abstract package. IMO it's easier, but may be less desirable if you
> need to customize placement of the title "Abstract" or futz with fonts or
> margins in just the abstract.

Thanks again for those files. I believe they work as “advertised.” However,
when I tried to add an author, possibly with a footnote attached to the
author’s name, I ran into problems again. I’ve attached modified versions of
your two MWEs. Maybe you have further comments. I didn’t try adding the \author
field to the preamble but I suppose that could work—don’t know about fixing the
footnote problem though.

Jerry