Try the ShortInsetNames module. I have never used it with equations but it
works well with Chapter and Section names, tables and figures.

Insert the Short label  from Custom Inserts and then insert the label.
Repeat procedure with Short Ref + label to have a short label in the text
or wherever

Thanks Andrew.

--
John Kane