On 2019-01-29, list_em...@icloud.com wrote:
>> On Jan 28, 2019, at 5:45 AM, Guenter Milde <mi...@users.sf.net> wrote:

>> You can get a rich choice of mathematical symbols/characters matching
>> Times Roman (including bold Greek letters) with the selection "Times
>> Roman (New TX)" in Document>Settings>Fonts>Maths.

> Oh, thanks. I didn’t think of that (Times Roman (New TX)). That is a
> useful workaround. Surely publishers have a different workaround if in
> fact Times Roman is deficient. I just wonder if this workaround is
> compatible with their workaround, if any.

Commercial mathematical fonts matching Times are available from
Micropress with TeX support by the package tmmath: https://ctan.org/pkg/tmmath

The "newtx" package (https://ctan.org/pkg/newtx) is not just a workaround
but the recommended free maths font package to match Times text fonts.

Alternatively, you can use the "STIX fonts"¹ (either for both, text and maths
oder in combination with Times as text font.

With XeTeX/LuaTeX, you can use non-TeX fonts and unicode-math with, e.g.
TeX Gyre or STIX¹
https://ctan.org/pkg/tex-gyre-math-termes
https://ctan.org/pkg/stix2-otf

¹ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STIX_Fonts_project

*Mathematicl* font setup is conceptually and functionally different from
*text* mode fonts.  Unless your document contains Greek text parts or
words, you may skip the setup of Greek text fonts (but it may help to get
letters for, say, π-mesons).

>> For text, you can use the Times lookalike "Artemisia" from the Greek Font
>> Societey, e.g. via http://ctan.org/pkg/substitutefont

> I didn’t try your Artemisia suggestion yet but I see that you are the
> maintainer, so thanks for that.

Actually, I just created and maintain the "substitutefont" package. It is
intended to combine matching 8-bit fonts for different scripts, because
quite often font developers for, say, Greek miss advanced Latin features
(letter ß or ð, say) while fonts for Latin have only basic or no Greek or
Cyrillic support.

> It does look like a nice font although it is not a Times lookalike to
> my eyes.

You are right, Artemisia is not a lookalike.

  GFS Artemisia is a relatively modern font, designed as a ‘general
  purpose’ font in the same sense as Times is nowadays treated.

  --- https://www.ctan.org/pkg/gfsartemisia

However, it is just an example. You can try any Greek font with 8-bit TeX
support (cf. https://www.ctan.org/topic/font-greek,
https://www.ctan.org/pkg/gfs, https://www.ctan.org/pkg/psgreek).

Again, you can also use XeTeX/LuaTeX with any Unicode (non-TeX) font that
contains all required characters. LyX will tell you if characters are missing.

Günter

Günter