We may be talking at cross-purposes here as I am running Ubuntu 18.04

However, I downloaded the modified soul module, copied it into
/.lyx/layouts,  ran a reconfigure and something calling itself "Soul
text markup" has appeared in my list of available modules.

As Daniel points out my instructions do not work for Windows so I may
be using an approach that is only valid in Ubundu

--
John Kane
Kingston ON Canada