[[ For some reason my posts are not showing up in my mail reader so I’m
replying to Riki’s post. They are in the archive, however. Sorry. ]]

I believe the IEEE Open Journal template, called open.tex when downloaded by
the IEEE, is using or leveraging off of the IEEE Transactions on Magnetics
which has page-wide abstract and index terms sections. Thus the line
\documentclass[transmag]{IEEEtran}.

However, when I import open.tex into LyX and tell it that it is a IEEE
Transactions on Magnetics paper, I get this warning:

"You are using at least one layout (Abstract) intended for the title, after
using non-title layouts. This could lead to missing or incorrect output.”

The PDF is then rendered without abstract or index terms, as I reported earlier.

The IEEEtran-TransMag.layout file seems to import the IEEEtran.layout file
since it contains the line

Input IEEEtran.layout

but I can’t seem to figure out the source of the warning, which makes certain
sense to me but I know little of this business.

As was suggested, I think we have a minor change to get this to work with the
IEEE open journal but I’m afraid my time has about run out.

Jerry